Crane operators must have a current medical examination certificate at all times. HMOAB will accept the Department of Transportation (DOT) Commercial Driver Medical Certification form or a form which meets the medical requirements from ASME B30.5-2018 Section 5-3.1.2. or ASME B30-3-2016 Section 3-3.1.2.
ASME B30.5 Section 5-3.1.2 Qualifications for Operators
(a) Operator and operator trainees shall meet the following physical qualifications unless it can be shown that failure to meet the qualifications will not affect the operation of the crane. In such cases, specialized clinical or medical judgments and tests may be required.
(1) vision of at least 20/30 Snellen in one eye and 20/ SO in the other, with or without corrective lenses.
(2) ability to distinguish colors, regardless of position, if color differentiation is required.
(3) adequate hearing to meet operational demands, with or without hearing aid.
(4) sufficient strength, endurance, agility, coordination, and speed of reaction to meet the operation demands.
(5) normal depth perception, field of vision, reaction time, manual dexterity, coordination, and no tendencies to dizziness or similar undesirable characteristics.
(6) a negative result for a substance abuse test. The level of testing will be determined by the standard practice for the industry where the crane is employed and this test shall be confirmed by a recognized laboratory service.
(7) no evidence of having physical defects or emotional instability that could render a hazard to the operator or others, or that in the opinion of the examiner could interfere with the operator’s performance. If evidence of this nature is found, it may be sufficient cause for disqualification.
(8) no evidence of being subject to seizures or loss of physical control; such evidence shall be sufficient reason for disqualification. Specialized medical tests may be required to determine these conditions.
(c) An operator must have a current physical examination certificate as required in section 12-48-6(b) at all times. Such proof, must be submitted upon request to the director within two hours of request.
(b) An applicant must have passed a physical examination that meets the requirements of ASME B30.3, Section 3-3.1.2(b) or ASME B30.5, Section 5-3.1.2(a), as applicable, and provide evidence of such examination by submitting a complete and current copy of one of the following: